Carrot cake is one of the local favourites that every Singaporean will eat at least once a week/month. Instead of hunting for the best carrot cake in town, why not try to make your own at home?
Follow this easy recipe to make hawker-style fried carrot cake to impress your friends and family.
Carrot cake (cut into 2-3cm cube)
Ingredients B (For frying):
2 cooking oil
1 clove garlic (finely chop)
1 shallots (finely chop)
2 tablespoons preserved radish (steep in water, wash, drain)
3 prawns (dice)
Red chili paste
2 eggs (beat with some fish sauce and white pepper powder)
Ingredients C (Seasoning):
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon light soya sauce
1 tablespoon sweet sauce
½ tps Sugar
A dash of white pepper powder
spring onion (finely cut)
To fry a portion of carrot cake:
1. Break 2 eggs in a bowl, lightly beaten with few drops of fish sauce and a dash of pepper powder. Set aside.
2. To fried carrot cake, heat up a frying pan on medium heat, add in 2 tablespoon lard or cooking oil. Sauté 1 tablespoon of garlic, 1 teaspoon of shallots and 1 tablespoon of preserved radish until golden brown.
3. Add in a cup of carrot cake and 3 diced prawns, stir fry on medium high heat for 1 minute.
4. Add chili paste and seasoning and fry on medium high heat for 1 minute then arrange and flatten the carrot cake in the middle of the pan.
5. On high heat, pour the beaten egg on the pan. Do not stir. When the egg is set, flip and continue frying. Serve with spring onion as garnish.