A popular appetizer in South East Asia, Achar is pickled salad made from a variety of vegetables. Learn how to make this sweet and sour preserved goodness from this video recipe.
Affordable and easy to make, Achar is a great complement to almost any dishes. Making this at home is no fuss at all as the ingredients are easy to find and prepare. The most important thing is you can adjust the sweetness and sourness according to the liking of your taste buds.
1 cup cucumber
1 cup carrots
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup pineapple
1 red chili
1 green chili
1 cloves garlic
2 dried chllies (soak in warm water until soft, drain)
1/2 tsp belachan (shrimp paste)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup vinegar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp toasted crushed peanuts
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, discard the seed and cut into 3 cm long strips. Cut the carrots into 3 cm long strips. Place the
carrots and cucumber in a large bowl. Stir in 2 tsp of salt and let it rest for 20 min. Wash and squeeze away the water.
2. Cut the ingredients B into 3 cm strips.
3. Blend the ingredients C until paste then fry on medium low heat for 3 mins or until fragrant.
4. Add in ingredients D into the paste and bring to boil.
5. Add in all the vegetables, crushed peanuts and sesame seeds. Then leave aside (Do not cook the vegetables).
6. When the Achar is cool keep in refrigerator. Achar can be kept in the fridge for weeks.